My guide to being happy!

Hello everyone. Today, I'm going to answer the million dollar question that has probably been on the minds of everyone who knows me personally, "Why does Delia keep smiling to herself?"

The answer is simple: Because I'm happy!

(Being happy all the time: What people think it is)


What it actually is:

Throughout the years since I first began smiling happily to myself randomly, no wait, all the time, I've been told by many people that people think I must be crazy, deluded or weird. Seriously, I think there's something really wrong with today's culture if someone frowning all the time is more natural to you than someone smiling all the time.

So today I've decided to help people snap out of their grumpiness and share my secret to being happy all the time! :D

Also, a disclaimer: obviously if you suffer from clinical depression, or have someone in your life abusing your emotionally, please seek support. :(

1. Stay away from people who start drama.

The thing about being older is that I tend to be a better judge of character. My closest friends are all amazing people inside and out. I've encountered my fair share of drama when my peers and I were all pretty young and naive. I'd like to think of it as a necessary stage to help you mature emotionally and to develop crucial people skills, but unfortunately there will always be those who grow old without growing up.

If someone in your life is always dragging you into fights, making you take sides, being an asshole bigot or making your life insufferable in general, maybe it's time to distance yourself for a bit ever.

2. Harp on all the good things you encounter.

Saw your crush along the streets? Got a 70% discount off a bag? Met a nice barista at the cafe who brightened up your day? Keep focusing on that one small happy thing and smile. You know how sometimes all it takes is one unfortunate encounter to completely ruin your day? Now turn that around and make one very fortunate encounter, no matter how small, brighten up your day.

3. Find something to escape to if you've had a bad day.

I think hobbies are underrated, and no, I don't mean hobbies like "eating" or "sleeping" (the kind of nonsense people will sprout during school camps when they have nothing better to say, basically), and I most certainly don't mean meaningless things like "stalking people on Facebook". I mean actually doing something enriching that will improve your quality of life.

I took a break from studying and caring about worldly affairs earlier this year and took up reading. I ordered a pile of books and got a Waterstones card (hey, I'm a student after all, I need my discounts!). It was strangely addicting and I found myself spending less and less time on the things that didn't matter, and more time relaxing myself properly after a long day at school.

4. Set personal development goals outside of work/school.

Having goals that you're passionate about helps give you a direction in life. I personally have tried starting a fitness regime, but I'm always interrupted by exams, long bouts of sickness or like more recently, I was on a lot of medication after my wisdom tooth surgery and stopped exercising for a long time. If anyone has any tips on how to get your fitness back on track after a long period of idling, I'm all ears :)

5. Be good to people without asking for anything in return.

While I believe it's true that not everyone will treat you back with kindness if you treat them well, most people would. And you'll really find that life is a lot easier when people around you like and respect you.

6. Focus more on building what you already have, and less on chasing what you don't.

Whether it is in terms of family/friendships or hobbies, if you already have something that means something to you, take care not to neglect it while you're chasing new relationships or goals. Especially, keep loyal friends close and cherish them.

7. Don't go clubbing, it's overrated.

8. Drink coffee. :D

Comments

Popular Posts