Rant ahead: 3 groups of people who are literally "always offended"

While everybody calls Social Justice Warriors annoying and always "triggered", they seem to have overlooked people out there who are way more annoying than Social Justice Warriors.

I personally find anti-Social Justice Warriors and "freedom of (hate) speech" advocates to be extremely annoying, but at least one thing I can respect about them is that they argue over topics of consequence.

I'm talking about people who form serious opinions about their hobbies and get into fights over the most inane things you can ever think of. "Hobbies" can range between anything from video games to Football. 

Granted, what is considered "inane" to me may very well be someone else's blood and soul. 

However, I always thought the whole point of having frivolous hobbies was to distract one from all the serious responsibilities and depressing reality of life. So what is the point if these very hobbies are going to piss you off and make you pick fights with people? 

Can someone enlighten me on why people get angry over...

1) Football 

(Pic credit: Soccerslide.com)

I personally know some football fans and they generally don't irritate me, so all is good. I have, however, heard very scary things from my friends before when they encounter crazy football fans.

A friend in the UK was telling me about how she was on a night train back to London, which coincidentally was also full of drunkards who just had their favourite team lose a soccer match that night. They were blocking a seat on a train and my friend could not move in to her seat which was near the window, and when she politely asked, they got verbally abusive against her. 

A kind old man on a nearby seat tried to mediate the situation, and from I remember from the account, they almost got violent with the old man as well.

Throughout her train ride back, those drunk soccer fans were continuously hurling racist abuse at her, calling her an "Asian bitch". When she got off the train at King's Cross, she was so afraid the loonies would follow her back home, that she called a guy friend to pick her up from the station.

What exactly can be so close to your heart about freaking soccer that you have to threaten violence on innocent people around you just because your team lost?

Really, I would appreciate if anyone who is this "passionate" about soccer can leave me a comment here and share your thought process with all us ignorant souls here. I won't understand, since I'm not one of those people who would sacrifice an arm, a leg and their parents over a game of soccer.

Alternatively, a suggestion for you: next time, just wait till the end of the game, then support the team that won. This way you will never need to be "triggered".

Otherwise, stop picking fights and threatening the people around you. There is no excuse for violence.

2) Makeup 

I follow some makeup companies on Facebook and Instagram because I'm interested to know about their new products, but I usually avoid the comments because some of their consumers simply fight too much. They treat the issues surrounding makeup brands and artists like they are a matter of life and death.

Case in point: entire youtube channels that are created just to scrutinise every move by cosmetic companies and makeup artists on youtube.



I'm not criticising the individuals behind these channels and I think everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as they are not inciting hatred.

I just... don't understand why anyone would be interested enough in squabbles between youtubers and the owners of makeup companies dissing each other.

3) (This group is perhaps my favourite) GAMES

In my first year of JC, my friends and I joined the trials for the Bridge Club. (the card game Bridge). I had the absolute misfortune of sitting with this Bridge member who, for lack of a better expression, was slightly on the socially-malfunctioning side, and was yelling at the people at the table for making "stupid" moves.

(Pic credit: Pinterest)

I thought the whole purpose of a trial was to introduce newbies to a CCA, and it was pretty reasonable that there would be beginners at a trial session? 

And even if I were a Bridge Tournament champion who was just deliberately screwing up my game for the fun of it, why is that important? Card games are just games, aren't they? 

So we left the trial and none of us bothered going for the subsequent sessions as we reckoned the seniors were clearly a little kee-siao (Singlish term for "nuts"). 

A month or so later, an email came to all our accounts with an epic rant from the chairman (or whoever it was that felt personally victimised by people not turning up for his CCA), screaming about how we didn't show up, didn't bother to tell him we were not interested anymore, complete with a song and dance finale about how Bridge is "not just a CCA". (Uhhh newsflash: it IS) My friends and I unanimously WTF-ed at the ridiculous email.

Why do you people care if others play "your" game properly or not? Who in the right mind would blow their top at someone for not treating a (100% inconsequential) game seriously?

And if your members are condescending and rude to juniors who came to your trial in good faith, don't whine about it when juniors react accordingly by not joining your CCA.

If a card game (or whatever other nonsense game for that matter) saps up that much of your emotional well-being, maybe you should put that stack of cards down and go out for some fresh air. 

Sometimes Anti-Social Justice Warriors dish out sensible advice- people really do need to stop getting offended over everything.


Comments

Popular Posts