On dreams and reflections

I'm not sure how many people know of local indie band "Pitchfeather" (click the link to listen to some of their tracks). One of its founders used to be my instructor from the Air Force, who left to pursue his dreams of releasing his very own album.

It was truly heartwarming to see someone else happy, doing something he really enjoys and being successful at it after so many struggles and so much hard work.

Shortly after my commissioning parade, I remembered travelling the long bus rides to and from work, and I'd pull out my phone and play one of Pitchfeather's tracks. My favourite song then was "Crumble". I was having my regrets at that time, and listening to their songs instantly made me feel...less unhappy. Of course, what's passed has passed...fast forward to today, and I can say I'm pretty much happy with where I am today. I've gained friends and many valuable life lessons.

I'd sometimes think back on my life and wonder what I've done in my past life to deserve all I have today. I've got a supportive family, a physically healthy body, good grades, great friends that I've known for up till 7 years, and I have a career that gives me a sense of purpose. There's no un-condescending way of putting this, but I've realised the key to being happy with your life is to stop seeing what you lack in life and start being thankful for the things you already do have.

I'm not saying I should stop pursuing the things I want because I already have enough and it would be greedy to want more; I'm saying that while I work hard, I wouldn't let this...wanting to achieving more thing make me become bitter and disgruntled.

I hate being thousands of miles away from home, away from my family and the people I care about. However, the one good thing about being away from commitments back at home is that it has given me space to think, reflect and plan my life.

I want to succeed in the things I've set out to do. I really want to.

Everyday I want to draw inspiration from the people around me who have succeeded, and learn something new everyday so I can become a better person than I was yesterday.

I choose to believe everyday is a chance for me to realise my dreams, contribute to society and an opportunity to learn.

Comments

Popular Posts