Wanderlust

If I ever had a child my one wish for him/her would be that they would have an intense desire to travel.

"Go for a long trip," I would tell them, "and don't look back ever since."

I would tell them to sail down the River Thames, absorbing the view of Westminster, London in its full glory. Admire the grandiose of the famous London Bridge (which they would certainly come to realise is made up of much more than 2 people linking arms). I would tell them not to confuse this with the Tower Bridge, in front of which I once stood, enjoying a cup of hot mocha in the wind.

tower bridge london river thames
Tower Bridge

Take a good, long break away from my husband and me, I would tell them. Deep down, I would know I am getting old. They would not appreciate unsolicited advice from me anymore. 

I would tell them to visit the Big Ben. The skyline in Singapore is nothing compared to numerous buildings in Great Britain with centuries of heritage. The building is awe-inspiring by day, and is an even more beautiful work of art by night.

big ben westminster london
The Big Ben

If they thought Singapore was diverse and multi-cultural, I would be quick to correct that. There are many other cities in the world with much much more diversity than you could find at Lucky Plaza on a weekend. You could walk past a row of shops along Covent Garden and find oriental-looking food you've never seen before in your life. Street performers of various nationalities will line the streets displaying their inhuman contortion/magic skills. The architecture reminds you of our very own Bugis Junction- yet it is much more unique and exquisite.

covent garden london united kingdom

London is great place to fall in love, I would say to my young, passionate little fella who is waiting for The One. Leave your past behind, forget the people who make you unhappy and find someone there who makes you feel special. Furthermore, what better place to fall in love than in a beautiful city with four seasons, thousands of miles away from the crowds and bustle of Singapore?

However, I would tell my child to take care, as one day the weather would turn cold. Sunset comes as early as 4 in the evening, sunrise as late as 10 in the morning. They might feel like their life energy is depleting along with the amount of sunshine that falls on the land. Ah heck, small price to pay for the great feeling of liberation and independence right? I would also tell them that they might start missing local food. 

I would then tell them, if you do, go down the streets to find a little Chinese restaurant. It so happens to have the best Singaporean-styled noodles/rice there. 

If you ever do drop by that restaurant by then, remember to write back to me, your mother. Tell me if the food reminds you of the days we had simple dinners at the nearby hawker centre. Tell me if you also start to miss your favourite cai tao kuey (carrot cake). Tell me if you start to miss me.

It's a beautiful city but there is nothing that feels warm around here anymore. Everything you see, hear, smell or touch gradually starts getting colder and more distant. This is the point when maybe, just maybe, you'd tell yourself "I've perhaps wandered enough, it's time to head home."

When you decide to return home, tell me. I'll be waiting at my doorstep for you, my child.

(Just kidding, if my unborn children so decide that one day, they'd like to run away from home, I'd roar my displeasure and stamp my feet through the floorboards. Being the kind mother I am, however, I'd still respect their choices and leave them be. The moral of my story is that it is 12 degrees Celsius today, I miss my bak chor mee at the local foodcourt, I miss the humidity in Singapore and everything spicy, tasty and South-East Asian.)


Comments

Popular Posts